Nothing takes Him by surprise. God is omniscient (all-knowing) and aware of everything we have need of. So why pray?
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
This list in not all inclusive, but here are a few reasons why we must pray.
1. God wants fellowship/relationship. It’s communication.
2. Prayer acts as the womb for the seed of believing.
3. Prayer acknowledges our dependence on God.
4. Prayer attracts the attention of the ears of God.
5. Prayer invites God in our situation because we can never inform God, we can only involve and invite Him.
6. Believers are instructed to pray.
7. Prayer works, it brings results.
8. Prayer is a weapon of spiritual warfare. It counter attacks worry and fear.
9. God hears the prayers of the righteous AND answers.
10. Prayer is the will of God for us.